- 1 Student Counsellors.Counselling whilst In-Training.
- 1.1 Suitability for Student Counsellors.
- 1.1.1 Counselling Practice Experience.
- 1.1.2 Counselling Qualifications (Primary).
- 1.1.3 Primary Theoretical Frameworks.
- 1.1.4 Supporting Certification (Primary).
- 1.1.5 Professional Membership Organisations.
- 1.1.6 Professional Accreditation.
- 1.1.7 Professional Registration.
- 1.1.8 Indemnity Insurance.
- 1.1.9 Supervision / Clinical Consultation.
- 1.2 Notes.
- 1.3 Counselling Fees for Students.
- 1.4 About Dean @ Havant Counselling.
- 1.5 Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
- 1.1 Suitability for Student Counsellors.
Student Counsellors.Counselling whilst In-Training.
Havant Counselling supports counsellors-in-training (students) during their qualification requirements for personal therapy: Hampshire, West Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Surrey or Berkshire.
Suitability for Student Counsellors.
Whether your diploma or degree in counselling is based in Hampshire, West Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Surrey or Berkshire, a majority of counselling training courses (a) require their students to be in personal therapy until qualification and (b) allow their students to choose their own (appropriately skilled) counsellor.
Dean Richardson of Havant Counselling works with counselling students until their personal therapy requirements have been met.
To help you judge if Dean Richardson is an appropriate counsellor for your course requirements, here’s an overview of his experience and qualifications that will assist you in deciding if he could be your counsellor for your qualification requirements.
Counselling Practice Experience.
- Currently in 22nd year of practice (1999 – ongoing).
- Individual counselling: 21 years+.
- Couple counselling: 11 years+.
- Group therapy/facilitation: 18 years+.
Counselling Qualifications (Primary).Primary awards include:
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (awarded July 2003 - Chichester Counselling Services - BACP Accredited Course).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Couples (awarded January 2010 - Chichester Counselling Services - Psychodynamic/systemic theoretical framework).
Primary Theoretical Frameworks.Primary Models/Framework include:
- Psychodynamic / Psychotherapeutic Counselling (individuals).
- Integrated Systemic / Psychodynamic Counselling (couples).
- Integrated Psychodynamic / Foulksian (groups).
- Cognitive Behavioural Approach to Therapy.
Supporting Certification (Primary).Primary continued professional development ("CPD") certification & training relevant to practice.
- Group / Team Facilitation Leader (Business) (Awarded 1997 – IBM, North Harbour, Portsmouth).
- Individual’s Coaching & Mentoring (Awarded 1998 – IBM, North Harbour, Portsmouth).
- Brief / focal psychodynamic psychotherapy (Awarded 2004 & 2009 – Chichester Counselling Services).
- Assessing Clients for Psychodynamic Counselling (Awarded June 2006 - Chichester Counselling Services).
- Online Counselling Skills (Awarded May 2007 - OnlineCounsellors.co.uk / Kate Anthony).
- National Foundation Certificate in Group Psychotherapy (Awarded July 2011 - Institute of Group Analysis - Brighton/Birkbeck College).
- Certificate in Foundations of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Awarded May 2012 - Hemmings Field Associates - "CBT With Heart").
- Working therapeutically with individuals convicted or accused of sexual offending (Awarded June 2019 - Stop/So).
Professional Membership Organisations.
- National Counselling Society (2015 – ongoing) *Note 1.
- Psychotherapy and Counselling Union of Great Britain (2018 – ongoing).
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – BACP (2003 – 2018 (16 years) – resigned in August 2018 – no longer a member – *Note 1).
- National Counselling Society – MNCS(Accredited Registrant) – (2015 – ongoing).
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – BACP – MBACP(Accredited) (2009 – 2018 (10 years) – resigned in August 2018 – accreditation by BACP no longer applies).
- Registered through National Counselling Society (number: NCS15-02454 – https://www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org/find-counsellor/results/ncs15-02454/).
- Indemnity insurance and public liability insurance to £10 million.
Supervision / Clinical Consultation.
- Minimum 90 minutes supervision per month.
- Additional supervisory consultation taken on-demand as cases require.
Note 1: Membership of a Professional Organisation.
A small number of training organisations have a compulsory requirement for your counsellor to be a member of one specific professional organisation over any other. This may be due to the college’s own accrediting organisation stipulating that students’ counsellors be a member of the same organisation as the one that awarded the training accreditation. Maybe this comes across a little like nepotism. Prior to The Professional Standards Authority colleges were defensible in keeping things in the family (so to speak), however student counsellors should know that requiring their during-training counsellors to be of one particular membership organisation over another is not a UK Government / nor a Regulation requirement (there is no government regulation in the UK for counsellors & psychotherapists).
Provided that your counsellor is of sufficient experience, is registered via a Professional Standards Authority voluntary register (and practices a theoretical framework recognised by the college) you should be good-to-go.
To put this in context: the NHS accepts counsellors for employment who are a member of one-out-of-ten recognised membership organisations. These organisations have their own accredited voluntary register that meets the standards of the Professional Standards Authority (including governance, setting standards for registrants, education and training, managing the register. See: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/roles/counsellor – Section: Entry Requirements and Training).It may help you if you enquire of your training organisation (or pastoral tutor) to explain why compulsory membership of one private voluntary organisation over another is required of your counsellor as part of your training in counselling.
My choice of Membership Organisation: I am an accredited registrant of: The National Counselling Society, which itself operates the voluntary register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority; the organisation operates a Code of Ethics (https://www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org/help/have-a-concern/code-of-ethics) and a complaints procedure.
The National Counselling Society is also experienced in educating organisations about how they may be mistaken in their thinking that membership of one organisation over another is a demonstration of suitability-or-otherwise of the counsellor (in some cases – such as counsellors who are qualified to work with children as opposed to those who are not – membership of one particular organisation may be appropriate; in others cases it may not). Get in contact if you need assistance with this matter.
Counselling Fees for Students.
Whilst I don’t offer a specific rate for counsellors-in-training, I do make the same offer to students as I do with anyone with a restricted income: I am available to discuss with you a weekly fee that you can afford responsibly.
For further details about my fees and arrangements, see my Counselling Fees page.
About Dean @ Havant Counselling.
You could choose any counsellor in and around Havant, 'natch!
Yet, when you think that this may be the most personal, private and vulnerable you're going to be with someone professional, you'd probably choose:
- someone you can grow to trust,
- someone who demonstrates highly competent skills, ethics and sensitivity.
- someone who speaks plain English (rather than psychobabble),
- someone who's as happy to use base/swearing language as much (or as little) as you do,
- someone who considers himself a frank, no bullshit counsellor, particularly you when you're in need of an authentic response (rather than an "hmm"),
- someone who would become an equal part of your therapeutic partnership (e.g. doesn't just sit mostly in silence for 50 minutes).
Dean Richardson MNCS(Accred / Reg) - a simply private choice.
Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
Got a question about Dean Richardson's counselling services in Havant (Hampshire)? Want to make contact, maybe asking about a first appointment? Send Dean a message any time…