- 1 Counsellor in Havant
- 1.1 Dean Richardson MNCS(Acc) MBACP(Accred).
- 1.2 Trust in Counsellor Dean Richardson.
- 1.3 Does Counselling Actually Help?
- 1.4 Disabled Access & Facilities.
- 1.5 Specialist Areas of Havant Counselling.
- 1.6 Situations a counsellor may not work with…
- 1.7 Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
Counsellor in HavantWhy choose Counsellor Dean Richardson MNCS(Acc) MBACP(Accred) in Havant, Hampshire.
Dean Richardson MNCS(Acc) MBACP(Accred).
- Qualified Individual (Psychodynamic) Counsellor 100%
- Qualified Couple (Systemic/Psychodynamic) Counsellor 100%
- National Foundation in Group Analytical (Foulksian/Psychodynamic) Counselling 100%
- Cognitive Behavioural Approach (CBT) to Counselling 100%
- 30 hours (minimum) Continual Professional Development per year 100%
- Minimum 90 minutes monthly supervision attended 100%
- Accredited by BACP and NCS UK professional bodies 100%
Dean Richardson is a private counsellor working in Central Havant (Hampshire).
Dean is accredited and registered with both the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, and the National Counselling Society – which demonstrates his vast experience, professionalism and adherence to ethics. His full profession title is: registered & accredited counsellor / psychotherapist.
Trust in Counsellor Dean Richardson.
Being accredited by both the BACP and the NCS confirms his substantial experience and adherence to a documented ethical approach to his counselling services.
Dean’s professional development over 18 years expands on his original qualifying diploma in psychodynamic counsellor and incorporates a post-graduate diploma in couple counselling, a foundation in group analysis to offer group counselling and integrates additional therapeutic models such as CBT/Cognitive Behavioural approach and a group-facilitation approach.
Click to read Frequently Asked Questions on Counselling.
Does Counselling Actually Help?
If a major purpose of counselling is to reduce distress levels (by bringing understanding to counter fear and raise personal affect), then, yes, counselling works.
During a period that CORE was used for measured outcome, every client using counselling with Dean* experienced a reduction of distress and an improvement in their CORE-34 measurement levels.
|Before Counselling Begins…||→||After Counselling Ends…|
*The table uses anonymous data from individuals counselling with Dean Richardson MNCS(Acc) MBACP(Accred) during 2009-2010.
Data was taken and measured using CORE Outcome Measure (CORE-OM 34).
CORE-OM 34 covers four dimensions: subjective well-being, problems / symptoms, life functioning and risk/harm.
The data shows that every client experienced improvements in distress levels.
Disabled Access & Facilities.
Havant Counselling is accessible for wheelchair users, the mobility impaired and others needing disabled access to counselling near Havant.
Our counselling room is on a ground floor, and the entrance through to the counselling room is on a level surface (slight bump on the bottom of the entrance door).
There are fully equipped disabled-access toilet facilities (wide movement area, support bars, low wash-basin, pulley alarm etc) read more…
Specialist Areas of Havant Counselling.
We say that there are both conscious and unconscious parts of our minds. Sometimes these parts are happy with each other, and sometimes they are not.
Stress, depression and unexplained behaviour may be hypothetically attributed to conflict between the unconscious and conscious minds. A psychodynamic counselling approach attempts to bring understanding to the conflicts, and once understood the client will discover choices.
By working in partnership with a counsellor adept with the psychodynamic approach helps to form a therapeutic alliance that may unravel emotional conflicts.
Systemic/Psychodynamic Couple Counselling
Systemic Counselling: helps the couple begin to understand what’s actually going on in their relationship’s system. With new knowledge comes choices of how the couple may begin change their reactions and responses to each other.
The counsellor and client must be motivated and willing to spot and to disregard irrelevant topics.
Brief/focal counselling works well with setting an agreed number of sessions at the start.
Counselling for Men
At least, once you get started you won’t need so much balls as you did when you began.
Many men find Dean Richardson the bloke they want to talk to when they have some problems.
FUN FACT: in 2015, Dean’s case load was 100% male.
Need to have that experience as if you’re talking to a mate down the pub … but that he’s a professional knowing what he’s talking about?
Come and talk with Dean Richardson.
LGBT(QI) Counselling - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans*, Questioning and Intersex
Some counsellors still decline (due to religious or other reasons).
Why go to a counsellor who’s not comfortable with LGBT/Questioning when Dean Richardson is a specialist LGBT counsellor?
When you’re struggling with sexuality, or difficulties with lifestyle, Dean could be the GSD*/LGBT counsellor for you.
FUN FACT: dedicated website for LGBT Couples: http://LGBTCoupleCounselling.co.uk/
*GSD: Gender and Sexual Diversities.
Situations a counsellor may not work with…
As an ethical counsellor, there are areas that I am not capable of working with (and a couple that I do not feel comfortable working with). I think it’s important to give you an informed decision about working with me.
- As a client you must find the capacity to be able to work along with me as the counsellor. If you’re thinking of presenting your problems to someone, in the hope that they will resolve them for you, then it’s probably not a counsellor you want.
- I do not provide instruction on how to resolve your personal problems, your relationship conflicts nor your group dysfunction. I do, however, use skills to assist you in discovering these for yourself/yourselves.
- You must be able to look after yourself in between counselling meetings (or have a support network).
- I do not work with people experiencing serious psychiatric disorders (e.g. bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder etc).
- I am unable to work with people who are unable to tell the difference between reality and non-reality (e.g. a psychosis or paranoid delusion). Mild phantasies (“I think no-one likes me”) is absolutely fine to work with me.
- I am a counsellor/psychotherapist. This is not the same as a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a psychoanalyst or a GP/Doctor. I do not provide diagnoses nor prescribe medication.
- I only work with adults aged 18 years and over.
- I cannot see someone “sent” to me for counselling, no matter how well intended.
- Other difficulties I may decline to work with if I consider myself too inexperienced in the subject area.
- I am qualified in working with domestic violence, but I may choose to decline.
- Couple Counselling cannot “fix” your partner for you. If you both wish to participate in looking at the relationship’s difficulties, you will be welcome.
Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
Got a question about Dean Richardson's counselling services in Havant (Hampshire)? Want to make contact, maybe asking about a first appointment? Send Dean a message any time…