- 1 Student Counsellors.Counselling whilst In-Training.
- 1.1 Suitability for Student Counsellors.
- 1.1.1 Counselling Practice Experience.
- 1.1.2 Counselling Qualifications (Primary).
- 1.1.3 Primary Theoretical Frameworks.
- 1.1.4 Counselling Supporting Certification (Primary).
- 1.1.5 Professional Membership Organisations.
- 1.1.6 Professional Accreditation.
- 1.1.7 Professional Registration.
- 1.1.8 Indemnity Insurance.
- 1.1.9 Supervision / Clinical Consultation.
- 1.2 Notes.
- 1.3 Counselling Fees for Students.
- 1.4 About Havant Counsellor.
- 1.5 Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
- 1.1 Suitability for Student Counsellors.
Student Counsellors.Counselling whilst In-Training.
Havant Counselling supports counsellors-in-training (students) during their qualification requirements for personal therapy: Hampshire, West Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Surrey or Berkshire.
Suitability for Student Counsellors.
Whether your diploma or degree in counselling is based in Hampshire, West Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Surrey or Berkshire, a majority of counselling training courses (a) require their students to be in personal therapy until qualification and (b) allow their students to choose their own (appropriately skilled) counsellor.
Dean Richardson of Havant Counselling works with counselling students until their personal therapy requirements have been met.
To help you judge if Dean Richardson is an appropriate counsellor for your course requirements, here’s an overview of his experience and qualifications that will assist you in deciding if he could be your counsellor for your qualification requirements.
Counselling Practice Experience.
- Currently in 21st year of practice (1999 – ongoing).
- Individual counselling: 20 years+.
- Couple counselling: 10 years+.
- Group therapy/facilitation: 17 years+.
Counselling Qualifications (Primary).Primary awards include:
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (awarded July 2003 - Chichester Counselling Services - BACP Accredited Course).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Couples (awarded January 2010 - Chichester Counselling Services - Psychodynamic/systemic theoretical framework).
Primary Theoretical Frameworks.Primary Models/Framework include:
- Psychodynamic / Psychotherapeutic Counselling (individuals).
- Integrated Systemic / Psychodynamic Counselling (couples).
- Integrated Psychodynamic / Foulksian (groups).
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Approach.
Counselling Supporting Certification (Primary).e.g. Continued professional development (CPD) certification. Supplementary courses/training is not included here.
- Facilitating Business Teams (IBM - 1990).
- Assessing Clients for Psychodynamic Counselling (June 2006 - Chichester Counselling Services).
- Online Counselling Skills (May 2007 - OnlineCounsellors.co.uk).
- National Foundation Certificate in Group Psychotherapy (Awarded July 2011 - Institute of Group Analysis).
- Certificate in Foundations of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Awarded May 2012 - Hemmings Field Associates).
- Working therapeutically with individuals convicted or accused of sexual offending (June 2019 - Stop/So).
Professional Membership Organisations.
- National Counselling Society (2015 – ongoing) *Note 1.
- Psychotherapy and Counselling Union of Great Britain (2018 – ongoing).
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – BACP (2003 – 2018 (16 years) – resigned in August 2018 – no longer a member – *Note 1).
- National Counselling Society – MNCS(Accredited Registrant) – (2015 – ongoing).
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – BACP – MBACP(Accredited) (2009 – 2018 (10 years) – resigned in August 2018 – accreditation by BACP no longer applies).
- Registered through National Counselling Society (number: NCS15-02454 – https://www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org/find-counsellor/results/ncs15-02454/).
- Indemnity insurance and public liability insurance to £10 million.
Supervision / Clinical Consultation.
- Minimum 90 minutes supervision per month.
- Additional supervisory consultation taken on-demand as cases require.
Note 1: Membership of a Professional Body.
Some training organisation insist upon your counsellor being a member of one specific membership body over another. This may not be a legitimate position for the training organisation to hold as there are no actual regulating bodies in the UK for counsellors/psychotherapists; there are only private membership organisations with their own bespoke membership rules and practice guidelines.
To put this in context: the NHS accepts counsellors for employment who are a member of one-out-of-ten acceptable (to the NHS) membership organisations. These organisations have their own accredited voluntary register that meets the standards of the Professional Standards Authority (including governance, setting standards for registrants, education and training, managing the register. See: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/roles/counsellor – Section: Entry Requirements and Training).
It may help you if you ask your training organisation / pastoral tutor to explain why membership of one organisation over another is required of your potential counsellor as part of your qualification in counselling.
My choice of Membership Organisation: I am an accredited registrant of: The National Counselling Society, which itself operates the voluntary register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority; the organisation operates a Code of Ethics (https://www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org/help/have-a-concern/code-of-ethics) and a complaints procedure.
The National Counselling Society is also experienced in educating organisations about how they may be mistaken in their thinking that membership of one organisation over another is a demonstration of suitability-or-otherwise of the counsellor (in some cases – such as therapists who are qualified to work with children as opposed to those who are not – this may be appropriate, in others it may not). Get in contact if you need assistance with this matter.
Counselling Fees for Students.
Whilst I don’t offer a specific rate for counsellors-in-training, I do make the same offer to students as I do with anyone with a restricted income: I am available to discuss with you a weekly fee that you can afford responsibly.
For further details about my fees and arrangements, see my Counselling Fees page.
About Havant Counsellor.
You could choose any counsellor in and around Havant .
Yet, when you think that this may be the most personal, private and vulnerable you're going to be with a professional, you'd choose:
- someone you can trust,
- someone who demonstrated highly competent skills and ethics,
- who spoke plain English (not lots of psychobable),
- who's as happy to swear as much as you do,
- who makes you an equal part of the therapeutic partnership (e.g. doesn't just sit in silence, saying "Hmm" for 50 minutes)…
A simply private choice, really.
Got a Question? Don't Hold Back…
Got a question about Dean Richardson's counselling services in Havant (Hampshire)? Want to make contact, maybe asking about a first appointment? Send Dean a message any time…